Armenia denounced that a massive night attack by Azerbaijan left 49 soldiers dead

Armenia denounced that a massive night attack by Azerbaijan left 49 soldiers dead

At least 49 Armenian soldiers killed in Azerbaijani attacks

Forty-nine Armenian soldiers were killed in overnight attacks by Azerbaijan, Armenia’s prime minister said on Tuesday.

During an appearance in Parliament, Nikol Pashinyan said Azerbaijani forces attacked half a dozen Armenian postsas reported by the news agency interface.

“At the moment we have 49 (military) dead and, unfortunately, this is not the final figure”Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian told parliament.

Pashinián denounced Azerbaijan’s aggression and, in telephone conversations overnight, demanded a reaction from Russian President Vladimir Putin, Frenchman Emmanuel Macron or the head of American diplomacy Antony Blinken.

In these appeals, Pashinyan said he was waiting for “an appropriate response from the international community”, according to statements by the Armenian government.

“With this escalation, Azerbaijan is undermining the peace process” underway between Yerevan and Baku with the mediation of the European Union, said the Armenian Prime Minister.

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan speaks outside parliament to report news from the frontline with Azerbaijan (Tigran Mehrabyan/PAN Photo via REUTERS)
Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan speaks outside parliament to report news from the frontline with Azerbaijan (Tigran Mehrabyan/PAN Photo via REUTERS)

He added that the intensity of the hostilities, which erupted shortly after midnight, “decreased” in the morning.

This recent unprovoked and unjustified aggression against the sovereign territory of Armenia is another flagrant violation by Azerbaijan of the Charter of the United Nations.the Helsinki Final Act and the Trilateral Declaration of November 9, 2020,” the Armenian government denounced.

“Azerbaijani and Turkish air forces conducted joint tactical flight exercises ‘TurAz Qartalı – 2022’ in Azerbaijan, with the stated aim of evaluating the capability of ‘destruction of air and ground targets of the imaginary enemy'”, a sued the Armenian government. .

For its part, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry said in a statement that Armenian forces fired on positions of its army in three districts. Furthermore, he noted that his forces had suffered an undetermined number of casualties and that “definitive retaliatory measures had been taken”.

“On September 10, 2022, the Minister of Defense of Azerbaijan during a meeting with the Central Command Post, ordered “to be ready to put down immediately and decisively any provocation”, denounced Armenia. The Azerbaijani minister also gave specific instructions regarding the improvement of medical support for troops serving on the border with the Republic of Armenia,” Yerevan said.

The renewed fighting, which erupted on Monday evening, illustrates how volatile the situation remains and threatens to derail a fragile European-brokered peace process.

“In light of Azerbaijan’s clearly planned and premeditated aggression, it is urgent that the international community take decisive and appropriate measures and actions to put an immediate end to Azerbaijan’s aggression against the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Armenia and prevent further escalation of the situation on the ground,” the Armenian government said.

INTERNATIONAL CONCERN

The European Union (EU) Special Representative for the South Caucasus and the crisis in Georgia, Toivo Klaar, today urged an immediate end to hostilities on the Armenia-Azerbaijan border.

“The fighting on the Armenia-Azerbaijan border and the heavy shelling that has been reported must stop immediately. The EU is in close contact with the parties to promote de-escalation,” Klaar tweeted.

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinián has already spoken with European Council President Charles Michel about the situation on the border, where the attacks that began last night claimed at least 49 casualties among the Armenian ranks and left three civilians injured, according to the Yerevan government.

The United States said overnight that it was “extremely concerned” of the situation and called for an immediate end to the fighting.

France has said that it will take the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan on the UN Security Council.

Russia, which proclaims itself an arbiter in the Caucasus and has peacekeeping troops deployed in the region, said it had brokered a ceasefire between the two countries.

Azerbaijan and Armenia have been at odds over the Nagorno-Karabakh region for decadeswhich is part of Azerbaijan but has been controlled by Armenian forces since a war of independence that ended in 1994.

In 2020, in a six-week war that claimed more than 6,600 lives, Azerbaijan seized large parts of Nagorno-Karabakh and surrounding areas that had been in the hands of Armenian-backed separatists since decades.

Armenia and Azerbaijan on Tuesday reported intense border fighting that claimed the lives of Armenian soldiers, in the latest clash between the two rival countries.

“On Tuesday at 00:05 (Monday 2005 GMT), Azerbaijan launched an intense bombardment with artillery and large-caliber weapons against Armenian military posts,” he added. the Armenian Defense Ministry said.

He noted that Azerbaijan also uses drones.

But the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry accused Armenia of “large-scale subversive acts” near the border, adding that its military positions “came under attack, including with trench mortars”.

US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken called for an end to the confrontation and assured that his country is “deeply concerned” by the situation.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken

“As we have made clear, there can be no military solution to the conflict,” Blinken said in a statement. “We call for an immediate end to all military hostility.”

There have been frequent reports of shootings along the border between the two countries since the end of the war between the two countries over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region in 2020.

Neighboring countries have fought two wars, one in the 1990s and the other in 2020, over Nagorno-Karabakh, an Azerbaijani enclave with an Armenian population.

From September 2, the Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense daily disseminated false information claiming that “the positions of the Azerbaijani army were periodically subjected to fire from weapons of various calibers from the positions of the Armenian armed forces”. The Armenian Ministry of Defense officially rejected all these accusations from Azerbaijan.

As part of the deal, Armenia ceded parts of territory it had controlled for decades and Moscow sent some 2,000 troops to oversee the fragile truce.

(With AP information)

SAFE READING:


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.