King Juan Carlos returned to Spain to see his family: Queen Sofía received him with Covid

King Juan Carlos returned to Spain to see his family: Queen Sofía received him with Covid

the King Juan Carlos of Spain, exiled two years ago to the United Arab Emirates, expected “lots of hugs” when visiting his family in Madrid. But that couldn’t be the case.

His wife, Queen Sophiatested positive for Covid-19 hours after returning from the United States to her country and before the expected visit of her husband, King Juan Carlos, to the palace in Madrid, after two years of separation.

the the king emeritus returned this Monday to the palace of La Zarzuelawhere he was reunited with his family for the first time since leaving the country in August 2020 and settling in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates.

In the past 21 months, the former monarch had no contact with his family and did not see Felipe VI or his wife Sofía again. The couple, who reigned in Spain from 1975 to 2014, celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary on May 14, separated by 6,000 kilometers.

Although Queen Sofía, 83 and mother of Felipe VI, attended the Bourbon lunch, which brought together children, grandchildren and other relatives, she remained isolated from the rest of the participants to avoid any contagion.

“Doña Sofía was unable to share lunch after testing positive for Covid on her return from Miamialthough he remained with the rest of the family in the dining room equipped with the obligatory mask and the corresponding ventilation measures, ”explained the royal household.

Although Queen Sofía, 83, attended the Bourbon luncheon, which brought together children, grandchildren and other relatives, she remained isolated from the rest of the attendees to avoid any contagion.

An 11-hour visit and return to Abu Dhabi: “From here I don’t bother”

Juan Carlos spent 11 hours in the palace that had been his home since the early 1960sand on Sunday he said he was delighted with the reunion and hoped to receive “lots of hugs”.

Meanwhile, the 84-year-old former monarch and his successor, Felipe VI, reviewed “different events and their consequences in Spanish society” over the past two years, the palace said.

The monarch and his father “have had a long conversation about family matters as well as different events and their consequences in Spanish society” since Don Juan Carlos left Spain, royal spokespersons have said.

Juan Carlos I returns to Spain: family reunion after 2 years of exile in the shadow of corruption

After saying goodbye to his family, the former monarch boarded a private plane which took him back to the seclusion of his “permanent and stable” residence in Abu Dhabi.where he lives as a guest of the ruler of the United Arab Emirates, Emir Mohammed bin Zayed al Nahayan.

French journalist Laurence Debray, author of the book ‘my fallen king‘ (My Fallen King), based on his conversations with the King Emeritus, later said there were people ‘happy’ that the former monarch was living away from Spain because from there he is a figure less uncomfortable for her son. “From here on, I don’t disturb the Crown,” the king told him.

In another conversation with Debray, which took place after the death of Prince Philip of England, Don Juan Carlos commented on how the funeral was “emotional and elegant”. “My father’s funeral was also very beautiful,” he admitted to the journalist. “Now I have to think about mine,” he said to himself.

King Juan Carlos 20220523
After saying goodbye to his family, the former monarch boarded a private plane which took him back to the seclusion of his “permanent and stable” residence in Abu Dhabi.

The visit of Juan Carlos divided the political class: he left Spain without explanation

No one knows if the Royal Family was able to smooth things over during the hours they met, but the visit from the King Emeritus, beleaguered by serious charges of money laundering and corruption, reopened the political debate around the monarchy inside and outside the governing coalition.

“I think he lost the opportunity to give the response that Spaniards expect and that democracy deserves,” lamented government spokeswoman Isabel Rodríguez, for whom Juan Carlos I should have taken advantage of this visit to “report” on the “actions” that have been the subject of a judicial investigation.

The third vice-president, Yolanda Díaz, complained to the press saying that “the longer it takes to give explanations”, the more the monarchy is damaged and “the less it is understandable for the citizens”.

The Prince of Monaco would pay his wife Charlene US$13 million not to leave the palace

Much tougher was the consumer minister Alberto Garzón (left), who described the former king as an “accredited criminal”. “The king emeritus should only return to Spain to be accountable to justice,” said the Minister of Human Rights and leader of Podemos, Ione Belarra.

Against all, PP, Ciudadanos and Vox presented themselves as the main defenders of Juan Carlos and the monarchy.

The president of the PP, Alberto Núñez Feijóo, defended that Juan Carlos de Borbón is a “citizen who has no pending case in court” and he regretted that his face and his visit served “to question the head of state”.

For his part, the deputy secretary general and national spokesperson for the Citizens, Edmundo Bal, regretted that the Government demanded a “sort of humiliation” from Juan Carlos by asking him to give explanations and recalled that the prosecution has already put “end and end” in March to say that “there are irregularities and they are not subject to criminal prosecution”.

You might also like


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.